Another 50+ mile week, as well as my introduction to trail running, not a bad week!
- Monday: Rest.
- Tuesday: 8 miles: Tempo: 9:05 pace: 18 min/4R/12 min
- Wednesday: 10 miles. Picked up my first pair of trail shoes (after returning some Asics that were just bad for me) and did a couple loops of the Frontrunner trail in Schenley. More rocks and loose gravel than anything, and easily doable in a road shoe, but broke them in (and saw a lot of other nightrime runners, which was fun).
- Thursday: 5 miles.
- Friday: Rest. Baked scones and took them to packet pickup for the first ever Pittsburgh 30K trail race the next morning.
- Saturday: Pittsburgh 30K (20 miles). Ran with the ‘party in the back’ for my first trail race! It covered a lot of green spaces, and specifically went to places that will most likely be gone in the next few years to development.
Had a blast and found some new bits to go back to explore, talked with some locals wondering what was going on (there were about 50 of us in total) and got yelled at by a cranky woman who doesn’t understand that she doesn’t own the road or the land that is the city’s.
Also got a ton of compliments on the scones, so that was cool, I’ll have to make a batch and surprise 3ROC (the store that sponsored the race, and who’s Instagram I ended up on) with another batch sometime.
- Sunday: 7 miles. Was going to meet a friend for another 3, but timing didn’t work out and I was more tired from the 30K than I expected (over 3,200 feet of elevation).
- Long run fuel: Tailwind, scones, Oreos, Clif bar.
- BWF/Core work: Did the BodyWeightFitness Recommended Routine once this week, need to add in one more this week to keep it averaging twice a week.
- Stretching: Stretching every day, not just run days, and it’s helping. I’ve been watching Schitt’s Creek each night as I stretch, highly recommended (both the show and stretching/rolling). I did the Adidas women’s running yoga on Sunday and I’m not a fan of the instructor at all, will find a different course to do this week.