I’m finally registered for my fall race, Miakonda! It’s a very limited field, and (fingers-crossed) vaccinations should be really good by then, so I felt comfortable signing up for it. It’s the first year for it, but it’s run by a great organizing group and members of PRorER will be there, so I’m really looking forward to it.
I’m still not quite sure what my goal is going to be. The course video looks like standard camp roads and trails, which I run in road shoes, but the website says to bring trail shoes (I’ll bring both), so I may play it a little by ear to see what I end up doing that day. This is the plan I made to get myself to 81 miles, but I feel like I’ve lost some significant fitness from the colitis; or I can use this as a test for a full 24 hours, as training for next year’s O24. So many choices!
It’s also Labor Day Weekend, so fingers crossed it isn’t too toasty, but after last year training in the heat, and doing it again for this race, we’ll see how I do. It is ‘third time’s the charm’ for this training plan, but of course, depending on how things go, I’ll probably use it again for what I have planned in 2022.
Either way, I’m excited to be registered and committed, and I’m so excited to see some of my running family again soon!
Anyway, this week of training included my second vaccine shot. Like the first, I had a bit of a fever overnight and felt a little crummy, but bounced back fairly well. I think I’m still feeling a bit under the weather, but nothing too terrible.
- Monday: Rest.
- Tuesday: 8 miles. Tiny loops in the neighborhood.
- Wednesday: 8 miles. Speedwork at the track, VO2 Max: 2 sets of 2×1200, 1×800
- Thursday: 5 miles. Tiny loops.
- Friday: Rest.
- Saturday: 6 miles. Stopped at a trail on the way back from my second shot. Was a nice day and good time on a newish trail to me!
- Sunday: 18 miles. Woke up feeling crappy after not having slept much, and knew I could take the day off due to my shot. Was feeling better, so went out at noon. Getting a late start was weird, and my legs were trashed by the end, I think the vaccine took more out of me than I realized.
- Long run fuel: Tailwind, Gu, Bobo’s Bar.
- BWF/Core work: Another mission of Zombies, Run: The Home Front. I also added in a class of Friendly Yin Yoga, hoping to keep that up, I really enjoyed her teaching style!
- Stretching: I did my stretching routine after every run!