I’m actually not one for new year’s resolutions. Typically I set out some very manageable goals for me at my birthday, and work on those for the year. So what did I do this year? Set some more new year’s resolutions.
A lot of these are continuations of what I was working on last year, and that’s fine, I’m happy with that! Anyway, here’s what I’ve been working on:
I wanted to restart the Wheel of Time series, as well as finish a few other books. Here’s what I read:
- Devolution: A Firsthand Account of the Rainier Sasquatch Massacre by Max Brooks. Great read about surviving a Sasquatch Massacre.
- You Suck at Cooking. An amazing cookbook and YouTube series!
- How to Wash the Dishes by Peter Miller. A friend bought this for me and I’m so glad she did, a meditation on washing the dishes.
- Welcome to Nightvale by Jeffrey Cranor and Joseph Fink. The first novel from the world of Nightvale, companion to the podcast.
- New Spring by Robert Jordan. Prequel to The Wheel of Time.
- Van Richten’s Guide to Ravenloft. A great resource and turned out to be a great inspiration for NaNoWriMo
- The Eye of the World. Originally I wanted to read the first three Wheel of Time books, but I only got through this one (plus the prequel above). I forgot how much these books can be a slog at times. When they’re great, they soar, but sometimes they just drag.
Other books and audio books
So, I’m not counting audio books for this challenge (hot take: it’s not actually reading. Not saying it’s not great, it’s just something else), or a couple other books that were very short:
- Mostly Water by Sam Pittman. Collection of poems from a friend of mine from the Frontrunners!
In a general sense of decluttering and cleaning, I’d like to clean or organize 12 small spaces, one a month. These are things like closets, bookshelves, dressers, etc. I had a couple spaces identified ahead of time, the rest I chose as I saw they needed attention. I got to 10 this year, and that’s pretty good! I’ll be doing this again next year!
- Hall closet
- Belt rack
- Shower head and kitchen sink sprayer nozzle
- Glove box
- Bathroom countertop
- Clean the exterior doors of my kitchen cabinets
- Good scrubbing to kitchen counters
- Dusting/cobwebs in stairs (I have floating stairs so this can be a problem if I forget about it, ha)
- Running clothes dresser
Watch some TV and movies
I’m behind on some media I want to watch, so I’m going to try to get a bit caught up. This was all on top of things like the MCU series that came out, Survivor, and a few other movies and things:
- Restart Arrow, two seasons
- MCU phase 1 (Iron Man, The Incredible Hulk, Iron Man 2, Thor, Captain America: The First Avenger, The Avengers)
- Get caught up on Critical Role (at new years I’m less than 20 episodes behind, starting at Campaign 2 Episode 101). As of April 14 I am caught up! There will be times I’m a week or two behind, but I made it!
- Three seasons of Supernatural
Well, I’d say I was successful! Didn’t do quite as much as I wanted to do, but that’s okay! The trick for me is to set reasonable and attainable goals, then I gain momentum to do more! (Side note, just surviving this year is enough. Don’t let anyone tell you differently).
I have some ideas for what I’ll be working on in 2022, including a lot of cleaning those same spaces again!
Here’s to a great year!